Saturday, January 14, 2012

Tas-mania: Tasmanian Devils

Okay, while I said that I'd be gushing about Tasmania, I didn't quite mean that I'd be gushing about Tasmanian Devils.  In my opinion, nothing to gush about.  Speak about, sure.  Laugh about, definitely.


They are interesting creatures, rather reminiscent of the ROUSes from The Princess Bride. That makes two Australian moments in that movie.  10 points if you know the other one.  Nah, 2 points.  It's an easy one.  But 15 points if your answer is in essay format.

They are not brilliant, have poor eyesight, aren't overly fast, and (quite unfortunately) most are dying out from a transferrable face cancer specific to the animal.  The ones we saw were at a Conservation spot, which was a bit pricey, but it's to help keep them alive.

They make the most unusual sounds.  At that point, our boy was 6 months and making some odd sounds of his own.  We decided he must have some Tasmanian devil in him as there was some overlap.  Perhaps they were trying to speak just as he was?  And what would they say?  Later that week, our boy said, "mom-mom-mom".  Somehow, I think the Tassie Devils would be more likely to say "Whaaa--?!" and there remain.

But the sound is quite strange, like wild animals fighting had been recorded poorly and played through tinny speakers.  Hmm... perhaps they make no sound and it's all a hoax.  No, seriously, I could understand how that sound would be chilling in the night in the woods.  It had a certain mad quality to it.

They rely on their sense of smell which works overtime to make up everything else.  They fed them while we were there and it was unusual to see carrion fought over, even little tiny pieces. It's easy to understand how the character on Loony Tunes came about, though he's the wrong colour and while it would probably run into trees, I doubt that it would make holes.  That may have been borrowed from the whirly-whirlies (wee dust spirals that show up occasionally and go "whoosh".  And by wee, I mean, the cow would make it, but I wouldn't want to be a cockroach.  Ever really.  But certainly not in that case.)


3 comments:

  1. Vizzini: "Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you."

    Too easy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks warm in these photos. Why is that? I do enjoy reading about your trip to taz-land!

    Your turn again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A whole 15 points to Nell then! I won't be stingy.

    ReplyDelete